background

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kids Eat the Darndest Things

As I plan my family's weekly menu I try to write in a foodie lesson for my soon to be 4 year old son Manny.  He has, in the past, been a bit picky and it has been a challenge for me to provide him with variety and nutrition.  Well, last week I was the one who got a lesson.  I prepared my family fish tacos, Mexican style risotto with cotija cheese, salad and fresh fruit.  A yummy and healthy feast.  I knew Manny would enjoy the fruit.  What I didn't know is that he would create a new taste treat...according to him.  It took me several attempts to get him to try the risotto.  I didn't think it would be that tough since he loves rice.  Did I bribe him?  No.  Why should I bribe him with something I would accept as a bribe?  I simply reasoned with him.  One bite...just one bite and you can play Wii.  OK, so it was a bit of a bribe and it worked.  He liked it.  He liked the fish too.  He proceeded to build himself a taco.  Soft corn tortilla, risotto, black olive and green grapes.  He ate it.  Yes, the whole thing..grapes and all. 

 My lesson-
Manny is obviously NOT picky.  He has extremely sophisticated taste...like him momma!

 
Manny hand grinding cumin seed

No comments:

Post a Comment