background

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Coupon Clippin' and Coffee Sippin'

It's Sunday and like the Bangels said "wish it were Sunday, my I don't have to run day".  Well, I don't have to run today and I am using this time to organize my weekly menu, clip some coupons and drink endless amounts of coffee.  Did you know you can go to http://www.hy-vee.com/ and get weekly coupon match-ups?  It matches our ad to the Sunday paper coupons.  Take a look under Helpful Ideas.

Back to my list.  What to make, what to bake, and since it is a busy week, what to fake.  These are the questions I ask myself.  I know I am a chef, but I can't cook from scratch all the time.  Just incase you are wondering, you can still be a domestic diva and cheat a recipe or two every now and then.  One of my favorite cheats is using rotisserie chicken.  Believe it or not, Stacey and I have come up with 101 tasty things to do with a rotisserie chicken.  So yes, what I am saying is you can prepare a fast chicken dish almost twice a week for a year and never repeat a recipe!  Here is one for tonight.




Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema






Ingredients:
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 cup salsa verde
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
8 soft corn tortillas
shredded lettuce or cabbage

Directions:

In a small skillet on medium heat combine shredded chicken and salsa.  Stir ocassionally until heated through. 
For the crema, combine the next 7 ingredients and set aside.
Wrap tortillas in a damp towel and heat in microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until softened. 
Place a mound of chicken in center of tortilla.  Top with crema and shredded lettuce.  Fold in both sides of tortilla and enjoy. 

For more recipes and meal planning ideas go http://www.hy-vee.com/ and click on Meal Solutions.  Search for 2323 West Broadway on Hy-Vee.com for our events calendar of classes by Two Girls 'n' a Grocery Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment